It was 1913 when a group of men from the western parishes of Guernsey decided to form a football club. Playing in Yellow and Black and nicknamed 'The Pirates' they called themselves Rocquaine United Football Club.

Their home ground was a piece of land at the rear of Torteval Church. Henry Le Ray was the first club secretary with the future Sylvans' President Tom Corbin amongst those who started the Sylvans story. In October 1913 the club played their first fixtures, friendly matches against clubs with Jackson (second team) or weaker teams. They made their Guernsey Football League Association debut in the Railway League (tier 3 of the Guernsey Leagues) in the 1913/14 season. It wasn't long until World War I broke out and this predictably resulted in the cancellation of the Guernsey Football Association Leagues shortly after. The war ended in 1918 and the Guernsey Football Association Leagues restarted the following year but like many clubs Rocquaine United were unable to muster enough players to field a side. The Pirates had to fold after just one season.


It was 1922 and the boys from the west were ready to try again.

By this time they had been joined by the local Rector of St Pierre du Bois, the Reverend J.A.F. Ozanne. He was a hugely popular character within the group and nicknamed 'Jaffo'. It was Jaffo who named the new club Sylvans, derived from the latin Silivia and meaning 'from the woods'. They had agreed to use one of Tom Corbins' fields as their home ground and so with Henry Le Ray as the first ever Sylvans President, playing in green, Sylvans Football Club came into being.

The new ground was sited at La Grande Couture, at the top of Le Coudre and still remains today. Facilities were very basic, the pitch was surrounded by a rope barrier, an ex Army hut, divided in to three sections stood on one side providing home and away changing rooms and a store room for the then speciality of hot cordials to combat the cold. Other luxuries included open air toilets and after some time when funds became available the addition of a press box.

It was the 5th October 1922 when Sylvans made their competitive debut, away to St Martins in the Mauger Charity Cup. Unfortunately St Martins won 8-1 but the new boys from out west attracted a fair amount of interest with just over 100 spectators turning out to watch the game. From here, Sylvans spent their first three seasons in the Railway League (3rd tier).

The 1925/26 season saw Sylvans also make its debut in the Jackson League (2nd tier) not quite being ready to venture in to the top flight of local football yet, the Priaulx League. After 4 years in the Railway & Jackson leagues, the 1929/30 season saw Sylvans convincingly capture the Railway League and finish second in the Jackson league thus entitling them to take their place amongst the elite in the Priaulx league the following season, it was not an opportunity they would miss.

It was a tough introduction to the top flight, the club still needed strength in depth and extra players were essential. A number of players joined following the disbanding of another club 'Northern Belles'. Amongst the new signings of the 1930/31 season was one of Guernsey's greatest ever goalkeepers, Dougie Mechem. Famed for his agility, Dougie went on to win fifteen Muratti caps between 1931 and 1939 making him Sylvans most capped player for many years to come and the second highest capped goalkeeper behind Colin Gervaise-Brazier with eighteen from 1962 - 1975.

Their arrival in the Priaulx was met with a mixed reaction. Whilst some welcomed the introduction of Sylvans & St Martins some were not so happy to incurr the additional 'travelling expenses' of the away matches 'out West'. There was also a feeling that attendences would be smaller due to the westerners not being a challenge to opposition sides, but the years following and since have seen a turnaround when Sylvans became arguably the best supported club in the Island.

It was not long before other clubs and the local press started to take the new western club seriously, the press were warning that over confidence and points dropped to the newcomers could make a great deal of difference to who represented the island in the Upton come the season’s end.

It wasn’t just the team that were getting a reputation for themselves either, by now the supporters had somewhat of a stigma too, hostile from the sidelines towards the opposition. Rumour had it that victorious opponents had to jump on their bikes and pedal home as quickly as possible to avoid a good turfing!

The first match couldn’t have been tougher, away to Rangers at the Track in the September of 1930. Sylvans first ever Priaulx team lost 9-0. The club retained its Priaulx status throughout the thirties and early forties but Football was once again interrupted by the outbreak of World War two and the occupation of the island.

Sylvans did not compete in the first post war season, instead returning in 1947/48. By this time the club had moved to its current headquarters in Rue de la Corderie to be known as St Peter’s.

The club had to regain its Priaulx status by playing in the Jackson league once more, winning this at the first attempt whist wearing the new club colours of Red & White. It proved to be a purple patch; the club also annexed the Railway League and Junior League titles the following season.

The club enjoyed periodic success during the sixties and seventies, winning championships at Jackson, Railway and Youth levels along with occasional cup victories. But Sylvans' failed to make an impact at first team level with only a Stranger Charity Cup (1960/61), Le Vallee Cup (1973/74) and a share of the Frederick Martinez Cup (1959/60) to show for our efforts.

In 1979, after 30 plus years without permanent facilities, work began on the construction of the present clubhouse, which was finished by Christmas 1981 and officially opened by Jurat Herbie Martel on 26th April 1982. The original building which has been extended and improved since it was originally built by a number of members, most notably Gordon Ferbrache who was to become the clubs first honorary member. It provided the club with first class changing facilities for players and officials plus a bar and kitchen to provide valuable revenue towards the running of what was now a ever growing sports club.


Now known as Sylvans Sports Club, it was now amongst the largest sports clubs in Guernsey. Apart from its involvement in all five Guernsey Football Association leagues, the club had a thriving mini’s section for children from age five to thirteen; it was this mini’s section that was to shape the clubs future to this day.

It was here that stars of the future were nurtured and the first signs of success were seen in the 1973/74 and 1974/75 seasons. The club won the Junior League Division A in both seasons entitling them to a shot at their Jersey counterparts in the Junior Upton, also known as the Portsmouth Trophy. 1973/74 saw the trophy shared, in a 2-2 draw with Beeches Old Boys and the same squad of players went one better the following season defeating First Tower in Guernsey to become the Junior Channel Island Champions for the first time.

Many of that side went on to play in the first team and represent Guernsey in Muratti finals. Some raucous nights were enjoyed down at the Corbet Field in the eighties which saw the 'Red Army' support their team by the bus load. However it was to be the next group of youngsters who were to re-write the record books.

Sylvans U18 1991
Portsmouth Trophy, U18 League, Old Vic Cup, Loveridge Cup Champions, back row L-R; Paul Ozanne, Shaun Kelling, Boley Smillie, John Nobes, Martin Le Page, Steve Brehaut, Clive Bateman, Jules Le Gallez. Front L-R; Wayne Duport, Dave Gilman, Paul de Garis, Paul Saunders, Jan Renouf, Stuart Roberts, Paul Nobes

A new group of juniors (pictured above) who were really starting to make a name for themselves and in 1990/91 this side first tasted success. The Youth Two title and Normandie Cup was captured in some style. Undefeated all season, a side made up of future first team regulars including the likes of Steve Brehaut, David Gilman, the Nobes brothers, Jan Renouf and Stuart Roberts romped to the title scoring 172 goals in just eighteen league matches conceding just one. The squad developed together under the guidance of Ivan de la Mare and Andy Kelling managing to achieve the unprecedented feat of winning all competitions open to them for two seasons running including the Youth One Championship, Old Vic Cup, Loveridge Cup and the Portsmouth Trophy. Sylvans also proudly provided the bulk of the successful Junior Muratti teams during this time.


Greatest Ever? Colin Renouf

By now, the club had made possibly its greatest ever appointment, that of Colin Renouf as Priaulx coach. The ‘Fox’ was to be the catalyst for a period of success that is unlikely to be repeated, he along with a group of players spanning three decades would go on to write the greatest ever chapter in to the clubs history.
It wasn’t all straight forward, at the same time that Fergie’s Fledglings (Sir Alex Ferguson, Beckham, Butt, the Neville’s and Scholes) were beginning their story, “Colin’s Kids” were thrust in to the Priaulx. At home to a North side including many island players for their first match of the 1992/93 season, the kids plus a few older heads were thrashed 7-1 prompting many to question whether the time was right to go with youth at the expense of some more experienced seniors. It was a valuable lesson though, and the following season going in to their last game of the 1993/94 season against the same opposition, only a point was required to secure the clubs first ever Priaulx Championship.

It was not just youth though, Tony Vance had returned from professional Football to add his experience and mercurial talents, Joel Avery had returned to the club from North, flying fullback Mark Coutanche and Lee Renouf (son to Colin and brother of Jan) joined to help create a squad that was to become the envy of the Island. So at St Peter’s in front of a crowd in excess of 800 spectators, they were not to be denied and completed a comprehensive 4-1 win over their closest rivals to spark celebrations which lasted long in to the night and the days following. A fortnight later the same side made their Upton debut narrowly losing out to an experienced First Tower side 0-1.
It was just reward for the then president Dave Jehan and the many committee members both past and present who had worked so hard for so many years to build the club up. With Priaulx side now built around that successful Youth side the team developed at pace. Playing on the best playing surface in the Island and further strengthened by signings including Grant Chalmers and Martin Gauvain, Sylvans dominated the nineties and early in the next century.

Wheway Cup Winners

10 League titles in 11 seasons (9 successive from 1993/94) and numerous cup wins including 4 Upton successes the rest of the island had no answer to the supremacy of Sylvans during this period. It was not just the Priaulx making the headlines either, numerous Jackson, Railway titles and cup doubles were captured in this period of dominance and the club became the first and only club to achieve the feat of winning all 1st team trophies open to them, 7 in total plus the Jackson and Railway League titles - 11 trophies in just one season.
By this time the club also had a dominant Ladies team, winning leagues year after year dominating the Ladies football scene just like their male counterparts.

Sylvans away to Aldershot Town in the Hampshire Cup

However, all good things must come to an end, and with the breakup of this side the club entered a period of transition. Coaches came and went and success was far less frequent. Cup final appearances were still a regular occurrence but failure often came at the final hurdle. 

FA Cup Winners 2007

That was until the 2006/07 season when the club claimed there maiden victory in the newest of competitions; the Fletcher Sports Guernsey FA Cup. From 32+ teams, under the management of Martyn de Garis, Sylvans defeated St Martins 2-0 under the floodlights of Footes Lane and claimed £2,000 prize money.

May 2016 saw the latest crop of talented youngsters really come to the fore. Andy Wild's all conquering Under 16 side had by this time already marched to the League title by winning all of their games and then winning a four-way play off to represent Guernsey in the Under 16 Upton for the first time in the clubs history.

Also for the first time in the clubs history the reds were to play at St Peters and gain full home advantage over Jersey's St Peter. Perhaps it was written in to the stars as a healthy crowd filled the ground and made for a crackling atmosphere. Two goals from Robbie Legg gave the reds a hard fought 2-1 win and etched another page in to the Sylvans history book.

Time will tell if the likes of Ben Bullock, Robbie Legg, Jacob Fallaize, Seb Smeed and co will go on to emulate the sides of the past.

U16 Upton Winners 2014


2015 saw Martyn de Garis return the the role of head coach for the second time, and his influence throughout the club drew similarities to the feeling running through the clubs during the glory days.

From Minis through to the first team, the club seemed revitalised and good times looked just around the corner. Indeed 2015 was one of the clubs most successful years since the club won all three senior mens leagues and all seven trophies at first team level.

With the Priaulx finishing second in the league just 3 points of champions North, FA Cup Finalists and Stranger Cup winners, the reds first team was back challenging for honours once again.

Stranger Winners 2015

On top of that the Jackson side secured the Cup double by winning the Jackson Shield and Mauger Cup to cap a fine season that saw many of the clubs young players step up to senior football and sin their first titles.

Mauger Cup and Jackson Shield Winners

And once again 2015 saw the reds retain the U16 League and Cup in some style beating arch rivals Vale Rec three times in four matches in an amazing climax to the season. Under coach Danny Watts who was also first team captain the young reds were developing in to a side with so much potential. Unfortunately Jersey's St Peter were too strong for the reds and they could not retain the Upton however many of the team were part of the successful U16 Muratti side that beat Jersey on penalties.

U16 Double Champions

Last but not least the Ladies returned to football after short absence from the scene and it was some return. Captain Nor Holden led her team to the League title in their first year back to top a great 2015 and perhaps the start of new era of success.

Ladies Champions


With new sponsors, a new president and committee lots of changes happening off the pitch too success on the pitch was starting to return. 


The early 2020's saw the emergence of the next crop of young talent start to come through. Many having been with the club since reception year in Minis, momentum was starting to build.

Led by coach Dave Gilman the under 12's topped the league table and qualified for the Corbet Cup Final, the showpiece of mini football in Guernsey. Facing North at a packed Corbet Field, supported by many of the senior and youth players they went on to win 4-2.

Two seasons later, following a season interupted by the covid-19 pandemic that same side were back at it.

At a packed St Peters in their final game of the season, against their now fierce rivals North it was a make or break day for the young reds. North requiring only a point to seal the title and the young reds needing all three points.North broke the deadlock early on at a very windy St Peters but were soon pegged back as Emerson Nobes equalised for the reds. With North sitting back playing for the draw the young reds piled on the pressure but could not make the breakthrough. With time running out an inspired substitution sent young Jimmy Montgomery on as a makeshift striker for the final 10 mins. He made an instant impact winning a freekick and then being in the right place to convert the subsequent cross and send the large crowd wild. Louis Mayor, Zach Gilman, Emerson Nobes, Harry Hodgson, Fin Patterson were beginning to write their own stories.

That same season John Nobes now under 13 team wrapped a league and cup double wining the league in some style and completed the double with a convincing win.

Meanwhile whilst all this was happening, at first team level the club qualified for the Wheway Cup by finishing in the top three in the Prialux league for the first time in a few seasons. Led by Martyn de Garis, ably assisted by Mike Garnett there was Guernsey FA Cup and Stranger Cup successes.Nick 'what-a-save' Batiste burst on the scene in goal, whilst James Ravenscroft announced his arrival at the club with a superb season. With Jacob Fallize and Seb Smeed back from the USA and Kyle Smith regularly knocking in goals this was a side with real potential stregthened by club stalwart Euan Melrose and many up and coming youngsters in Harvey Lihou, Oscar Leadbeater, Simon Arnold to name but a few.

A year later there was even more success for youth sides, Dave Gilman's side won the under 15 league title with an unbeaten league season and added a cup success too. Jack Griffin now leading the line with 20 plus goals for the season. John Nobes under 14's also won the league with an unbeaten season.

The big one in the 2022/23 season though was reserved for the under 16 side coached by Anna Gauvain. After years of almost winning and close calls, they finally got what they deserved winning the league and the the opportunity to represent Guernsey in the under 16 Upton for the first time since 2016.The most consistent team all season it was reward for years of hard work and dedication, coaches and players remaining resiliant to eventually get the reward their efforts deserved.

Tom Bourgaize in goal faced and saved an incredible eight penalties during the course of season, in defence George Montgomery captained and marshalled the team so well it saw him captain Guernsey at under 16 level and establish himself in the clubs first team squad. Upfront the partnership of Jack Griffin at 14 years old and Tim Ap Sion who would eventually sign scholarship forms with Bristol City proved too hot to handle.Whilst the Upton slipped away with a 3-0 defeat to a superior St Pauls team on the day there was no doubt that there are several players for the not too distant future.

Guernsey U18's were captained by Seb Vance, Seb captained Sylvans U18's to the Loveridge Cup, beating Rover convincingly in the final. 

The future is bright, the future is red.....


One era ends and another is maybe about to begin - "In today already walks tomorrow ...", who will write their names in to the next chapter of the Sylvans story?